Getting to grasps with our unconscious bias is a crucial step in creating an inclusive and fair work environment. This talk examines why bias occurs, its influence on the workplace, and what we can do to stop it at both an individual and organisational level.
Regardless of how open-minded we might like to think we are, we are all innately biased. These biases happen over the progression of our lives as a result of the influences of our family and friends, our individual experiences, our cultural background and outside influences such as the media. While we may be unaware of them, they can exercise a substantial impact on how we communicate with those around us and the choices that we make about people and circumstances.
Duration: 120 minutes
- What is unconscious bias and why it matters.
- Learn why humans are biased and are naturally built to stereotype.
- Understand the relationship between bias and stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination.
- Identify the different types of bias in the workplace and how to overcome them.
- Evaluate the impact of bias on their decision-making, behaviour and workplace relationships.
- Recognise your own biases and take action to neutralise for them.